Wednesday, September 26, 2018

14 Changes for Fall 2018

Regardless of age, we all go through periods of time where we detour from our journeys and lose sight of what's really important to us. We hit the gym hard for a couple months and feel confident about our re-discovered fountain of youth, only until we can’t go one day because of some other commitment, which again happens the next day, and the day after that…

That's OK. It's human nature -- I too periodically lose my sense of self and purpose.

Rather than drudge down the path of self-defeat, I choose to turn inward whenever I feel discontent. I firmly believe in constantly evaluating and re-evaluating one’s life direction, so that’s why I’m beginning my Seasonal Changes series. As the calendar changes seasons every three months, I think a perfect opportunity presents itself for me to reflect and ask myself what alterations I need to make to rejuvenate my life.

In no particular order, I present the 14 changes I’m making for the fall of 2018. I will do my very best to adhere to these guidelines for the next three months, and then I’ll reevaluate once winter welcomes us.

For the first eight habits, you’ll notice the Rule of Three, a spin-off of Joshua Fields-Millburn's Rule of Two.*

I care deeply about my health, so I’ve determined these eight behaviors as the most important to me for my physical and mental well-being. I must practice each behavior three times per week for the amount of time I’ve designated for it. Rather than beat myself up for not writing on a given day, I’m saying that as long as I follow the Rule of Three, I can permit myself to feel satisfaction. This is the bare minimum; if I do a certain activity more than three times per week, that’s certainly not a bad thing.

  1. Writing (45 minutes per session)
  2. Reading (30 minutes)
  3. Walking (at least 30 minutes)
  4. Push-ups (150 reps)
  5. Squats (100 reps)
  6. Core (10 minutes)
  7. Meditation (10 minutes)
  8. Call friends and family (No required duration)

The following behaviors do not follow the Rule of Three, but I still find them to be very important for my well-being.

  1. Jar of Awesome**
    1. I took what was once a container of almonds and transformed it into my “Jar of Awesome,” a small jar I keep in my bedroom. Every time I do something I’m proud of, no matter how big or small, I write on a small piece of paper what I did it and place it in the jar. I can then refer to the jar whenever I need something to smile about.
  2. When doing creative work, put the phone in airplane mode
    1. Whenever reading or writing or coming up with ideas, I will put my phone in airplane mode. If my mind is in other places, I’ll never produce the quality art I’m capable of.
  3. Mindful eating
    1. I’m a very healthy eater in terms of what I eat, but I never really take the time to enjoy it. I have to slow down when I eat and savor every bite, because eating healthy food is such a wonderful experience that I don’t appreciate enough.
  4. Loving-kindness**
    1. This theory posits that when you start to wish happiness upon others, you’ll become happier yourself. For example, if a random guy is texting someone as you walk by him, quietly tell yourself that you hope he’s telling his loving girlfriend that he’ll be home in 20 minutes to see her.
  5. Peanut butter discipline
    1. As we all know, one spoonful is never enough. It's the only food I struggle with eating too much of, therefore I’m limiting my peanut butter consumption to one spoonful per day.
  6. Carry an idea notebook everywhere
    1. Because I spend so much time alone with my thoughts, I constantly come up with ideas. The problem is, I often forget them if I don’t immediately write them down. From now on, everywhere I go, I will carry my backpack with me because it will always have my idea notebook ready to go with a pen.

Those are my changes this fall, what are yours?




*https://www.theminimalists.com/two/
**Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
x
x

1 comment:

  1. Mine is to finish painting the downstairs by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete