Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Stay or Go?

I often speak to my fellow dreamers about all of the things we want to accomplish in life -- the paths we wish to explore, the lives we hope to live, and the places we dream of going to. Although the idyllic rags-to-riches American Dream is still deeply embedded within us, the Googles and Instagrams of the world constantly expose us to different lifestyles with their filtered photographs of ornate architecture and cloudless skylines and teeming nightlife in cities spanning the globe. They’re beckoning us to come explore them in ways once unimaginable to the generations that have preceded us. Us millennials increasingly dream of the ability to do whatever we want, whenever we want, which leads me to my fundamental problem.

I need your help.

I’m currently at ESPN Radio in Central Connecticut. My contract expires in February, meaning I’ll have no reason to remain in this area. I’ve never had a “dream job,” but I have long coveted the chance to play a role -- any role -- in the production of a sports documentary or a long-form feature. Many of the films are rooted in historical subject matter, which often requires hours upon hours of research in libraries and archives. Once the information is gathered, a narrative can then be crafted through one’s writing and storytelling skills.

In my time here, I’ve made a great deal of connections and earned some respect, so much so that I’m confident I might be able to land myself in a program that could serve as a launchpad to the long-form platform at ESPN, which I believe offers the best in the business. I'm emotionally shaken to the core every single time I view one of their pieces, and the thought of one day playing a role in something like that sends chills down my spine.

However, it could take 1-3 more years of 50 hour weeks and overnight shifts and sleepless nights and holiday shifts. It will deplete my precious resources of time and energy and not allow for the early-to-bed, early-to-rise life I find myself craving every day. It will require me to constantly tie myself to technology while sitting in a chair for nine hours a day, two behaviors that I cringe upon thinking of.

Is that really worth it?

Because another part of me wants to completely drop everything and start anew somewhere else. Seriously, just pick a point on the map and go there. I’ll find my footing and pay the bills in more creative ways. I’ll live a more intentional life with less clutter and fewer possession and fewer commitments and fewer toxic people around me. I’ll have more time and energy to pursue the activities I love doing, like reading and writing and having meaningful conversation over a beverage of my choice. My heart tells me this is the time in my life to take the money I’ve saved and go out and see the country/world, meet new people, and certainly put myself in a number of uncomfortable situation, which is where the most growth happens.

Sure, staying at ESPN provides security and finances and benefits while the alternative may not. But if I stay here and continue my inevitable work-a-holic ways, I’m afraid I’ll never leave. I’m insanely competitive, and knowing my insatiable desire to outdo others, I’ll climb the ladder and eventually arrive at a place where I could never justify turning down undeniable prestige and a sexy paycheck.

My greatest fear in life is looking back with regrets. If I stay, will I regret never having taken advantage of the period of my life where I have absolutely nothing tying me to a certain place? If I go, will I regret turning my back on a job that I fantasized about for years in college and over the past 18 months? My head has one answer, while my heart gives me another.

I don’t know what to do. What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Stay for the chance of a lifetime. You might never have the chance again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy Most people do not have "dream" jobs. If they do, persons in those jobs will tell you that job requires hard work and long hours. A "dream" job is what you make of it and how you decide to approach that job in the moment.

    To say "I’ll live a more intentional life with less clutter and fewer possession and fewer commitments and fewer toxic people around me. I’ll have more time and energy to pursue the activities I love doing, like reading and writing and having meaningful conversation over a beverage of my choice." is possible in every job-not easy, but possible. We all struggle with meeting those personal goals every day. We should live every day mindful of those goals and perhaps scheduling them into our work time. Moving somewhere to just "go" somewhere is not going to change you and your work-a-holic ways but it may limit the heights that you climb to. Yes it's hard-yes its work but if it provides an opportunity for something bigger and better (or to decide bigger and better is not you) then stay and determine to incorporate your personal desires into your professional goals. Treat your personal goals as a job and work on achieving your personal goals as hard as you work at your job (Easy to say, I've never mastered it) If there is a job out there that offers better opportunities and can provide both professional and personal rewards, then go, but moving to move in hopes somewhere else is "better" is not a good reason(It is also a lot easier to have "personal goals" if you make sufficient money to actually enjoy them.) Work is hard-being successful is hard. That being said if you are TRULY unhappy, then leave but determine what it is that you are "unhappy" with and ensure "that" will not follow you wherever you go. Good luck! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen for putting so much thoughts into this. I really appreciate it. You've definitely given me a lot to think about. You're right, I should find a way to fulfill those personal desires while doing this job, because then that's the best of those both worlds for me. And I'm certainly not "unhappy" now, I just know there's so much out there waiting for me.

      Delete
    2. Of course you can just find a rich girlfriend and let her support your personal interests ... It's not easy being young and 1-3 years will fly by.Trust me. And then, with loads of experience under your belt you can try a new challenge.

      Delete
    3. That first option sounds much more enticing! But you're right. Thanks for the insight, that's why I put it out there to those who have lived this

      Delete